Internet Assistance | Midco

Federal Assistance Programs

Helping You Stay Connected

Stay in the loop with your friends, family and coworkers with financial assistance programs and Midco. We’re proud to partner with the federal government to offer you access to the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) and Lifeline. If eligible, these programs allow you to save money on internet and home phone services.

Keep reading to explore these two programs, see if you might be eligible and start the application process.

  Lifeline Assistance 

Broadband Assistance

  • Enjoy cost-effective connectivity, with no installation fee and rent-free modems.
  • Credit can be applied to most tiers of Midco internet services. 

Home Phone Assistance

  • Get reliable, digital home phone service at a reduced monthly rate.4
  • There’s no installation fee, and it includes free long-distance blocking upon request.


Lifeline Assistance is available to qualifying new and current customers who meet income guidelines. Some of the other eligibility requirements include:

  • Only one Lifeline credit is allowed per household.
  • Only one Lifeline credit is allowed per individual.
  • Midco service must be in the eligible participant’s name or they must certify that the program participant is a member of the household.
  • You may be required to recertify household eligibility at any time. Failure to recertify may result in termination of the Lifeline benefit.
  • Lifeline assistance cannot be transferred to another person.

How to Apply

There are three different ways to apply for the Lifeline Assistance Program.

  1. Visit the FCC Lifeline site to check your eligibility status and to apply.  
  2. Download the PDF Lifeline application and mail it with your proof of eligibility document(s) to USAC Lifeline Support Center, P.O. Box 9100, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773.
  3. Contact us at 1.800.888.1300. We'll mail you a form to fill out and send to USAC with your proof of eligibility document(s)

    If you need help, call the Lifeline Support Center at 1.877.524.1325.

Apply online

Download Application


Minnesota Customers

Having trouble paying for phone or internet service? Minnesota's Telephone Assistance Plan (TAP) and the federal Lifeline program help make these services affordable to low-income consumers.

TAP offers a $10 per month discount on home landline telephone service online. The Lifeline program offers a $5.25 per month discount on home landline service or $9.25 per month discount on internet service. Program eligibility is based on income. Consumers enrolled in certain federal programs may already be eligible.

Learn more 


To qualify for the federal Lifeline service discount, you must be a resident at a Midco-serviceable address in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota or Kansas. You must reside within Midco’s eligible telecommunications carrier (ETC) coverage area based on your home address.

Lifeline subsidies may only be applied once per household on either your landline telephone or your broadband internet service. Lifeline service may not be transferred to any other individual. Applicants must present documentation of household income or participation in qualifying programs. Lifeline participants are required to submit documentation annually to confirm continued eligibility.

Qualifications may vary by state. You must also demonstrate that your total household income is below a certain threshold, or provide an award letter or another document as proof that you qualify for one of these programs:

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps
  • Medicaid
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
  • Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance1
  • Tribal Head Start (only households meeting the income qualifying standard)1
  • Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)1
  • Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations*

You can also get Lifeline if your income is 135% or less than the Federal Poverty Guidelines. The guideline is based on your state and household size.2 If you're unsure about your household size, see the Lifeline Household Worksheet

1 You must reside on tribal land to use this program as qualification to participate in the Lifeline assistance program.
2 A household is everyone who lives together at your address, including children and roommates.

If you meet eligibility requirements, submit the application from the links above for your state. After you submit the application online or by mail and provide proof of eligibility, if it is determined you are eligible, Lifeline discounts can be applied to future Midco statements.

You do not need to be an active Midco customer at the time you complete the Lifeline or specific state applications. Prospective customers can complete the Lifeline and specific state applications above, receive confirmation of eligibility, and then order the service.    

Consumers enrolled in the following programs may already be eligible:

  • Federal Public Housing Assistance
  • Medical Assistance
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
  • Supplemental Security Income
  • Veterans Pension or Survivors Pension Benefit
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
  • Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
  • Head Start
  • Food Distribution Program

You must recertify each year that you are still eligible for the federal Lifeline assistance program. Annual certification is done through the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC), which will contact you directly.

If you are no longer eligible or you fail to respond, Midco is notified by USAC to remove the discounts from your account, which will affect your monthly Midco statement. We will notify you of program removal should you no longer be eligible or fail to respond.

MN TAP & Kansas credits do not require any renewal process. 


Before creating your application, these steps are highly recommended:

  • Review the application in full. 
  • Determine and obtain the types of proof of eligibility you need to complete the application.
  • Make sure that all documentation is dated within the past year.
  • Complete the application in its entirety. If the application is incomplete, we will return it to you.
  • Be aware that additional proof of identity may be requested for Lifeline if we are unable to verify your identity in the National Lifeline Accountability Database (NLAD).
  • We recommend using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari as your internet browser when submitting this form. Make sure you are using the current version of your browser, and you have the latest security updates.

Questions or Complaints

For unresolved questions or complaints, you may contact the state utilities commission in your state:


Kansas Corporation Commission,
Office of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection
1500 SW Arrowhead Road, Topeka, KS 66604
Toll-Free: 1.800.662.0027, or in Topeka: 785.271.3140
Hearing or speech impaired TCC Kansas Relay Center: 1.800.766.3777


Minnesota Public Utilities Commission, Consumer Affairs Office
121 7th Place E, Ste 350, Saint Paul, MN 55101
Toll-Free: 1.800.657.3782 or 651.296.0406

North Dakota

North Dakota Public Service Commission
600 E Boulevard, Bismarck, ND 58505
Toll-Free: 1.877.245.6685 or in Bismarck: 701.328.2400

South Dakota

South Dakota Public Utilities Commission, Consumer Affairs
Capitol Building, 500 E Capitol Ave, Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: 605.773.3201

Services may not be available in all areas, and some restrictions may apply.

1 When qualifying under the Federal Telephone Lifeline Program, if you live in Minnesota or Kansas, you will also qualify for additional state assistance under the Minnesota Telephone Assistance Program (TAP)  or the Kansas State Lifeline program.

Taxes and other federal fees will increase the cost on phone services.