Tips to Secure and Automate Your Home for the Holidays
As you’re dashing through the snow and running from one holiday party to another, we know you need less stress, not more. Features such as a mobile app, smart bulbs, security cameras, outlet controls and smart door locks can help you stay connected and protected this holiday season (and all year long).
More than half of Americans say they know someone who has had a package stolen from outside their home. Almost a third have experienced stolen packages themselves. Don’t let "porch pirates" steal your Christmas joy.
Merry and Bright Theft Deterrent
According to the FBI, home burglaries spike during the holidays and in the summer when families tend to take vacations. Smart outlets and smart bulbs can help deter thieves by making it appear you are home, even if you're not.
- Use your mobile app to set your lights and lamps to turn on or off at certain times – or turn them on manually from anywhere.
- Set up routines to automatically control your porch lights and lamps using your Amazon Alexa.1
- Plug your holiday lights into outlet controls, and then with a single tap of your finger, you can turn them on or off – or set them to turn on and off at certain times of day.
Live Christmas trees and holiday decorations too close to a heat source are two of the most common causes of holiday house fires.
- Add connected smoke detectors to your home security system, so they can alert you to a potential fire at your home – and immediately alert your local fire department when they're connected to your 24/7 professional monitoring service.
When relatives are coming to stay with you, don’t hide a key outside under a rock.
- Use your home security system’s mobile app and programmable deadbolt door lock to let them in remotely, even if you’re not home yet. If your guests leave after you’ve gone back to work, use the app to lock the door behind them.
- Create custom codes that your out-of-town guests can use as they come and go.
Rest easy knowing your doors are locked, lights are off, your security system is armed and your thermostat is set to a more economical temperature when you’re away for the holidays.
- Use your mobile app to check on all your equipment, and lock doors, turn lights off, arm your security system and adjust your thermostat remotely.
- Check your home security cameras and other equipment in the app at any time, giving you more peace of mind.
See the Benefits of Midco SmartHOME
A home security system can help you feel secure year-round. See how Midco SmartHOME™ delivers all the convenience and peace of mind you need in a home security system.
See the Benefits
Certain equipment may be limited by local ordinance or dwelling. Equipment and features that include arming/disarming and alerting of emergency services require professionally monitored service. Midco SmartHOME requires Midco Internet 50 or higher. Customer is liable for damaged or stolen equipment, and for false alarms. False alarm ordinances may apply. Contact your local municipality for more information. Some municipal ordinances may restrict smoke alarm installation. Cellular signal strength may affect system performance. Service is provided under Terms and Conditions at Midco.com/Legal.
1 At this time, only lights, outlet controls and thermostats are compatible with Amazon Alexa. Amazon Echo and other Amazon devices not available for purchase through Midco. Amazon, Echo, Alexa, and all related logos and products are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.