Cable TV Support
How to Understand TV and Movie Ratings
Midco cable TV allows you to block content based on TV and movie rating systems. To help you understand the content you’re blocking and allowing, it’s important to understand the rating definitions.
- TVY: All Children – This program is designed to be appropriate for children.
- TVY7: Directed to Older Children – This program is designed for children age 7 and above.
- TVG: General Audience – Most parents would find this program appropriate for all ages. It contains little or no violence, no strong language and little or no sexual dialogue or situations.
- TVPG: Parental Guidance Suggested – This program contains material that parents may find unsuitable for younger children. Many parents may want to watch it with their younger children.
- TV14: Parents Strongly Cautioned – This program contains some material that parents would find unsuitable for children under 14 years of age.
- TVMA: Mature Audience Only – This program is specifically designed to be viewed by adults and therefore may be unsuitable for children under 17.
- G: General Audiences – All ages admitted..
- PG: Parental Guidance Suggested – Some material may not be suitable for children.
- PG-13: Parents Strongly Cautioned – Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.
- R: Restricted – Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.
- NC-17: No Children 17 and under admitted
How to Block Content
- Learn how to block content and set purchasing PINs on your Midco cable equipment.
- The V-Chip has been built in new televisions since 1999 and 2000. Working in conjunction with the TV Parental Guidelines, parents are allowed to block out programs by rating. Consult your TV manual to learn how to turn on this function.
- Learn more about family viewing, visit the Control with Cable website.