TiVo and Alexa Overview
Pair your TiVo® device with your Amazon Echo or other Alexa-enabled device. Then, you can pause, play, fast-forward, rewind, change the channel or launch Netflix – all without lifting a finger. Just ask Alexa instead!1
Looking for more voice-control options? We also offer a specific TiVo remote you can command with your voice.
Note: Alexa integration is only available with the newer TiVo® Experience. See which experience you have.
- Press the TiVo button on your remote to go to the Home screen.
- Select Apps and then the Alexa app.
- On the pairing screen, note the activation code and the name of your TiVo device(s). (You’ll need these during setup.)
- If you have more than one TiVo device, do this on each device and note the activation code and name. Make sure each device has a unique, easily recognizable name or you may not be able to complete setup. You can change the name of the box by selecting Update TiVo box name on the pairing screen.
- Open the Amazon Alexa app on your mobile device.
- In the menu, select Skills & Games. Enter TiVo in the search box.
- Choose TiVo from the list, and follow the on-screen instructions to pair your main TiVo device.
- If you have more than one TiVo device, select Manage and Link Devices in the TiVo skill. Then choose Link another device, and follow the on-screen instructions.
Here are some of the easy commands you can give Alexa. You may need to add "on TiVo" to any command if there has been no activity on your TiVo device for more than 60 minutes.
- Say “Alexa, pause” to pause playback.
- Say "Alexa, play" to resume watching.
- Say “Alexa, fast forward."
- To fast forward at higher speeds (up to three times faster), say "Alexa fast forward again."
- Say “Alexa, previous” to jump back eight seconds (similar to pressing the Instant Replay button).
- Say "Alexa, skip" or "Alexa, next" will skip a commercial break on SkipMode®-enabled shows.
- Say “Alexa, change the channel to [number]."
- Say “Alexa, change channel to [network name]" (such as CBS or ESPN).
- You must set up your Zip code in the Alexa app to enable this command. Go to Settings, choose your device, and then verify the Zip code under Device Location.
- Say “Alexa, go to Guide" opens the TiVo program guide.
- Say “Alexa, go to Home” opens the TiVo Home screen.
- Say "Alexa, go to settings" opens the TiVo settings screen.
- Say "Alexa, launch [app name]" opens a streaming video app.
- Available apps currently include Prime Video, Netflix, HBO GO® and YouTube.2
1 TiVo services may not be available in all areas and some restrictions may apply. TiVoDVR requires a Midco Internet 50 connection or higher. Not all TiVo DVRs are compatible with the newer TiVo Experience. Contact us with questions. TiVo and the TiVo logo are registered trademarks of TiVo Inc. and its subsidiaries worldwide. Amazon Echo and other Amazon devices not available for purchase through Midco. Amazon, Echo, Alexa, Prime and all related logos and products are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
2 HBO, Cinemax and related channels and service marks are the property of Home Box Office Inc., LLC. HBO GO® and MAX GO® are only accessible in the U.S. and certain U.S. territories where a high-speed broadband connection is available. Some restrictions may apply. All devices, titles and related trademarks are property of their respective owners.
This material includes references to other products, services and/or equipment not manufactured by Midco. The respective companies retain trademark and registered trademark ownership for those referenced items.