Cable TV Support
Troubleshoot My TiVo Devices
How do I restart my TiVo® device?
This applies to the classic TiVo Experience. If this doesn't look right with your TiVo Menu, see the instructions for the new TiVo Experience. Or simply unplug the power cord, wait 15 seconds, and then plug in the power cord again.
- Go to the TiVo Central screen and select Settings & Messages.
- Go to Menu.
- Select Settings & Messages.
- Choose Help and then Restart or reset system.
- Select Restart the TiVo Box.
- As a safety measure, press the Thumbs Down button three times, and then press the Enter button.
The restarting process can take 10-15 minutes.
If you cannot access the TiVo menus, unplug the power cord, wait 15 seconds, and then plug in the power cord again.
I can't go to one of my channels.
Review your channel lineup within My Account and make sure all the channels you subscribe to are marked with a yellow check in your TiVo Guide. To see your channel lineup:
- Log in to My Account.
- Next to Cable TV, select Channel Lineup.
If you subscribe to a channel but it's missing from yourTiVo's channel list, contact us.
My device was working, but now the picture is frozen.
- Try changing channels several times.
- Press the Pause button, and then the Play button.
- Restart your device.
If your picture is still frozen, contact us.
I'm not getting a picture now, even though I have been able to get one in the past.
- Make sure your TV is set to the correct input.
- Use the Resolution button on your DVR or Mini to cycle through the various video output formats. (Select models only.)
- Someone in your household may have placed the DVR or Mini in Standby mode. Press either the TiVo button or the Live TV button.
If you're still not getting a picture, contact us.
My TV is showing a gray screen with a "Searching for Signal" message.
Your device is having trouble tuning to the channel you've selected.
- Try changing channels. If the message only appears on a few channels, you may be experiencing a weak signal on those channels, or you may be tuned into a channel you aren't subscribed to.
- Make sure all the cable connections on the back of your devices are secure and not damaged.
- Check if there is an outage in your area, or contact us.
The audio and video are out of sync.
- The audio and video may re-sync if you change channels.
- You may be able to re-sync the audio and video by pressing the Replay button.
- Press the TiVo button to go to the TiVo Central screen. Then press the Live TV button to return to live TV.
- Restart your device.
My TiVo remote doesn't work with my TiVo device.
Be sure you are using the remote that came with your TiVo® DVR or TiVo® Mini, and that you hold it so the TiVo button points toward the device you are trying to control. Also check that you have the correct input selected on your TV.
If you press any button on the TiVo remote and the activity light at the top of the remote does not flash, check the batteries. If the activity light does flash, watch the lights on the front of the DVR or Mini. If lights on the front of the DVR or Mini do not respond to the TiVo remote, try restarting your device.
If your TiVo remote can work in radio frequency (RF) mode to control a TiVo DVR that isn't within line of sight, make sure the TiVo remote is paired with the DVR. To pair your remote:
- Go to Settings and Messages.
- Select Remote, CableCARD and Devices.
- Choose Remote Control Setup.
Note: RF remote is available only with select DVRs.
My TiVo voice search button isn't working.
Currently, the voice search button on newer TiVo remotes will not work with TiVo DVRs from Midco. We are launching a new TiVo Experience in fall 2018, and once the update goes through, the voice search button on your remote will then allow you to tell your TiVo DVR to find your favorite show, find a channel or movie or launch apps like Netflix or Hulu. We'll let you know as soon as the upgrade and new features are available.
My parental controls aren't working.
When you enter your password to watch a show that violates Parental Controls, they are temporarily turned off. You can re-enable them:
- On the Parental Controls screen
- From the TiVo Central screen, select Settings & Messages, and then Parental Controls.
- By putting your device in Standby mode and then taking it out of Standby.
- From the TiVo Central screen, select Settings & Messages, then Standby.
- To return to normal mode from Standby, press either the TiVo button or the Live TV button on your remote.