Fiber Conversion: What to Expect
Our future is fiber, and you're leaping ahead with Fiber Forward technology from Midco! We’ve made a $500-million investment to deliver the best of 10 Gig (10G) to our growing network of customers. This means we’re bringing you incredible reliability and increased performance to support what’s next in revolutionary innovations.
Ready to dive in? It all starts with fiber conversion.
Benefits of switching to fiber now.
- Faster, symmetrical upload speeds that match your downloads. (Think 1 gig x 1 gig, 500 Mbps x 500 Mbps, 100 Mbps x 100 Mbps and so on!)
- Stronger internet performance and reliability – and more capacity to do all the things you do online.
- Access to more advanced TV tech with MidcoTV, our personalized, all-streaming solution for watching on TV and the MidcoTV app.
Your fiber conversion appointment.
If you’re an existing Midco customer, we schedule a free fiber conversion appointment to get you upgraded! A professional Midco technician visits your home to transition to your services to the new technology.1
What to expect:
- The technician will call and/or text you when they’re on the way to your appointment.
- Our techs always wear Midco gear and have a Midco badge, so you can be sure they are one of our team members.
- The area around cable, power and networking outlets should be clear and easily accessible.
- We will hang a new box on the side of the house and potentially add an outlet.
- Any technical issues will result in the technician restoring the previous services. A resolution will then be planned for another date/time.
Get more details on how to prepare for the Midco tech visit to your home.
Switching to advanced services.
Internet switch to fiber.
See what’s staying the same and what’s changing when you switch from fixed wireless or cable modem internet service to super-powerful fiber internet.
- Download speeds (unless you change packages)
- Wi-Fi network name and password (if you wish)
- How you connect devices to the internet
- Enjoy faster upload speeds that match your downloads (also known as symmetrical speeds).
- Gain greater reliability and capacity.
- Experience lower latency (meaning you’ll have a better internet user experience, less buffering for streaming, gaming and video calls, plus faster web page loading).
- The technician will install different internet equipment. We’ll swap your current modem for an optical network unit (ONU).
Important: All your fiber-delivered Midco services are tied to this ONU. So if you reboot your internet, it will also temporarily interrupt your MidcoTV service and reboot your home phone service.
Cable TV switch to MidcoTV.
What’s staying the same and what’s changing when switching from cable TV to MidcoTV.
- Channel lineup and channel numbers (unless you change your TV package)
- Access to TV Everywhere network apps
- Recording capabilities with DVR (if you had a DVR prior)
- Video ON Demand access
- Enjoy more streaming opportunities with Google Play apps, some preloaded on the MidcoTV app.
- It’s easier to watch what you want with robust, on-screen user guides with easy-to-use features.
- Because existing DVR or TiVo DVR recordings will be lost in the transition, we recommend watching your existing recordings in advance of the fiber conversion appointment, if you’re able.
- You’ll start using a different remote control with voice command capability.
- Rebooting, restarting and error codes work differently with MidcoTV. Also, MidcoTV will be temporarily interrupted when you reboot your internet equipment (called an ONU or optical network unit).
Home phone switch to fiber-delivered phone.
See what’s staying the same and what’s changing when switching to fiber-delivered home phone.
- Your phone number
- Most phone features
- How you access some phone features including call forwarding and voicemail will change.
- Saved voicemails will be lost. Make note of important messages before the transition.
- New phone modem does not include a battery backup. Purchase a backup battery by contacting us.
- Terminating Call Manager is no longer available with fiber-delivered phone service. All phone lines automatically include robocall mitigation – and you can add on selective call rejection as a phone feature if you wish.
- Your phone connection will reboot anytime you reboot your Midco internet equipment (called an ONU or optical network unit).
Fiber Conversion FAQ
Get answers to frequently asked questions regarding fiber conversion installations and service capabilities.
- Midco statements reflect billing for services one month in advance. Your first statement after the fiber conversion will show both your previous and new services listed, as well as partial-month charges on your first statement after the change.
- For example, your bill may show the old internet package with a partial-month amount for 10 days of service and the new fiber internet package for 8 days – up until your normal billing cycle
- Your second bill after conversion should not have any partial-month services.
- Your billing statement due date and timeframe will remain the same.
If there’s a technical issue during the fiber conversion appointment that prevents the technician from finishing, the technician will restore services to the prior packages. Midco will resolve the issue and work with you to reschedule the conversion appointment.
Troubleshooting and rebooting your equipment is different after the fiber conversion. All Midco services will be tied to a single ONU (optical network unit). Rebooting the ONU to troubleshoot internet will temporarily interrupt MidcoTV and phone services.
Need More Help?
1 Professional, in-person installation fee is $100. There is no charge for service visits, self-installation and current customer fiber transitions.