Home Security Support
Amazon Alexa Integration
Learn how to control your Midco SmartHOME™ lights and thermostat with your voice through your Amazon Alexa device. At this time, light and outlet controls plus thermostats are compatible with Amazon Alexa devices.
Before connecting your security system to your Alexa device, you must:
- Have your Midco SmartHOME system installed in your home.
- Download the Alexa app to your smartphone, and log in successfully or create an account. Visit Amazon’s support site for help with the Alexa app.
After you've set up Alexa with Midco SmartHOME, you can find ongoing Alexa support on the Amazon website.
- Turn on your Echo device. The Echo will tell you when it’s ready for setup.
- On your mobile phone, navigate to your Settings, and connect to the Amazon FG2 Wi-Fi network. This will link your mobile phone to your Echo device.
- Once the devices are linked, the Alexa app will prompt you to return to the Alexa app to select your home Wi-Fi network. This will link your device to the internet.
- The Alexa app will present you with several setup prompts, such as confirming users and whether to use voice messaging to call or message people through the Echo device. You may set up these options or skip as you desire.
- Return to the main Alexa app screen, and tap on the menu icon in the upper-left corner.
- Select Skills from the list of options in the menu.
- In the Search All Skills window, search for and select Midco SmartHOME.
- Tap Enable.
- Enter your Midco SmartHOME system username and password.
- Once the system and Alexa are linked, you will be prompted to Discover Devices. Tap Discover Devices.
- After discovery has completed, go to the Alexa app menu icon again, and select Smart Home. Your devices and options will appear.
- Group and control your devices directly from this menu.
- Link the new Midco SmartHOME equipment (light or thermostat) to your security system, and confirm it’s working as expected in the Midco SmartHOME app.
- Open the Alexa app.
- From the main menu, select Smart Home.
- Tap Add Device.
- The system will search for and discover the new light or thermostat equipment.
Setting up groups for your equipment makes it easy to turn on of your lights at once – or just lights in a single room.
- In the Alexa app, select Smart Home from the main menu.
- Tap the Groups tab at the top of the page.
- Choose Create Group.
- Name the group. This will be part of the voice command when you want to use Alexa to control these devices.
- Select the equipment to be a part of the group, and then select the left arrow at the top left hand corner of the screen. The group will show on this screen after it is created.
You can create routines to automate your equipment to work together. For example, you can say “Alexa, Good Morning,” and your Echo will turn on your lights, adjust your thermostat and read you the weather report automatically.
- On the main menu, tap Routines.
- Tap the + on the top right corner.
- Select the + next to When This Happens, and then choose how to trigger the routine.
- Choose either to trigger it when you say something, or at a scheduled time of the day.
- Enter what you will say to trigger the routine, or what time of day you want the routine to happen.
- Tap Done.
- Select the + next to Add Action, and then select which action(s) you want Alexa to complete and what device(s) you want Alexa to control. For example, select Smart Home and then the lights group you’ve created to tell Alexa to turn your lights on or off.
- Once you’ve added all of the actions you want Alexa to complete for that routine, tap Create. This adds that routine to your list of routines.
For more on creating routines and a video tutorial, visit Amazon’s support site.