What is the best location for my wireless modem?
Where your wireless modem is located can affect the Wi-Fi signal throughout your home. To provide the best signal possible, here are some items to consider regarding your wireless modem:
- Because distance from the wireless modem impacts Wi-Fi performance and signal strength, place your modem centrally in your home* where you use wireless devices most often. The size and layout of your home may also impact performance, meaning wireless coverage may be limited in some areas in a large home or multiple-level home.
- Maximize the wireless modem’s ability to broadcast a solid, dependable wireless signal by elevating it on a table or stand to keep it off the floor.
- Keep your modem in the open. Avoid closets or cabinets, and don’t place it behind other electronics such as TVs, stereos/sound bars and computers.
- Your surrounding can impact Wi-Fi performance – including building materials and other household devices such as:
- Microwaves and cordless phones (2.4GHz models)
- Metal (steel construction materials, doors, etc.)
- Concrete and brick
- Glass (windows, patio doors and aquariums)
*All cable outlets in a home may not be active. If an outlet is not active and you would like to move your modem to it, a Midco technician visit will be needed. Applicable charges apply for a technician visit.