Cable TV Support
Activating Parental Controls
Parental Controls help you make sure your family has access to only those shows you want them to watch. Set limits on movie and television ratings, lock specific channels, and prevent viewing of recorded shows with ratings you have chosen to restrict.
Customers with High Definition Digital Adapter or other advanced set top boxes (DVR, High Definition Receiver, Standard Receiver) that has access to our Interactive Guide can use these steps to activate Parental Controls.
To activate Parental Controls set a personalized 4-digit PIN to place "Locks" by movie ratings, TV and content ratings, channels or titles. You can also hide adult titles from being displayed on-screen. Locks can be set quickly in a variety of ways anytime while watching TV or using the guide:
- Select LOCK from the Quick Menu.
- Select LOCK from any program info screen to lock a specific program.
- Access Parental Controls from the Main Menu or Setup Menu to set up all Locks.
With any of these actions, if you have not set up a PIN, you will be prompted to enter a 4-digit PIN to activate the Locks feature.
Blocking By Content And/Or Rating
- From the Parental Controls Button on the Main Menu filter your Locks by Movie Rating, TV Rating, TV Content, Channel, Title, or Service.
- Under TV Content, you can lock the level of explicit content based on your viewing preferences for Violence, Language, Sexual Situations, and Suggestive Dialogue.
- Select Movie Ratings or TV Ratings to block content by rating. The guide will automatically lock that rating and the more restrictive ratings. For example, when you lock PG-13, movies with R, NC-17 and Adult ratings will also be locked.
Parental Controls For On Demand
Parental Control settings include On Demand programming.
- To block all access to On Demand, select Service Locks from the Parental Controls Menu.
View Locked Programs
To view programs and channels you have locked, enter your PIN when prompted. Locks will automatically be restored when you tune away from the channel or turn your set-top box off. TiVo will not auto-lock a program when you tune away from the channel, it will stay unlocked for 4 hours unless you re-lock it.
Bypass Or Clear Locks
You can temporarily open or clear all Locks for easier viewing.
- Under Setup from the Main Menu
- Select Parental Controls Setup
- Select Master Locks
- Arrow over and change the option from No to Yes.
Locks may be restored in any of the following ways:
- While watching TV, press the LOCK button anytime and enter your PIN.
- Select Parental Controls Setup from the Setup Menu, then under Master Locks change the options from Yes to No to turn Locks back on.
- Turn the set-top box off and back on.