A CableCARD is a credit-card-sized card that plugs directly into compatible digital TV or other device, such as a retail, third-party TiVo® DVR. With a CableCARD, you can view digital and HD channels without a set-top box or digital receiver.
If you have a combination of a CableCARD and HDTV, you can watch these cable channels:
- HD and standard-definition channels
- Music Choice digital music channels
- Premium movie channels1
Unfortunately, a CableCARD does not provide access to ON Demand and pay-per-view content, as well as parental controls and an on-screen TV guide.
You don’t have to wait for an appointment, and you don’t have to be a techie. You can order a CableCARD from us and install it on your own.
- If you need a CableCARD, contact us.
- If you’re a customer moving services to a new address, just bring all current Midco equipment (cable boxes, modems, power cords and remotes) to your new location.
Required to Start:
- Your TV or compatible device powered on
- Your TV or compatible device’s manufacturer instructions
- A CableCARD device
- Set up your equipment (TiVo®, TV or PC TV) by following the manufacturer instructions.
- When the manufacturer’s instructions direct you to install the CableCARD, write down the serial number from the back of the CableCARD.
- Turn off your TV, and insert the CableCARD from Midco into the CableCARD slot on the back of the equipment.
- For TiVo DVR Series 3 owners: If you have two CableCARDs to install, complete the installation of card 1 first (including calling Midco to complete card 1 installation) before installing card 2. Install card 1 into the slot marked #1.
- After the CableCARD is inserted into the retail equipment, turn on the equipment. An activation message will display when it’s time to take the next step.
- A software update may be required, and it could take up to 30 minutes. An activation message will display when the update is complete.
- If you a software update or activation message do not appear after five minutes of inserting the CableCARD, contact us.
- Write down the numbers that appear on screen for the CableCARD IS, Host ID and Data.
- Contact Midco at 1.800.888.1300, or by chat or social media support, to complete CableCARD activation. Please be ready with your:
- CableCARD serial number
- CableCARD IS, Host ID and Data numbers
- TV or compatible equipment’s make and model number
- If your equipment requires a second CableCARD, complete these steps for that card.
Leased equipment is the property of Midco, so you should return it to avoid unreturned equipment charges being placed on your account.
- If you received new equipment from Midco, remove the prepaid return label from the box with your new equipment. Otherwise, use our live chat or call 1.800.888.1300 to request a prepaid address label be sent to your email address.
- Pack your equipment.
- Please return all equipment, remotes and power cords.
- Detach all cables and power cords from the equipment, and wrap equipment in bubble wrap, protecting all sides.
- Wrap any remote controls in separate bubble wrap.
- Bundle power cords before packing them into the box.
- Seal the box with packaging tape, and place the address label on the box (covering any old address labels that might be present).
- Mail the package. You can drop it off at any UPS location, or request a pickup online at UPS.com.
1 Premium channels require an additional subscription. Packages and channels are subject to change and may vary by location.