Starting January 1, 2022, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will require that callers use area codes for local calls in the 605, 218, 620 and 785 area codes. On and after January 1, all local calls made from these Midco service areas must include the area code, or they will not be successful.
We encourage our phone customers to make the switch from seven-digit dialing to 10-digit dialing in advance.
FCC Adopts 988 for Nationwide Lifeline
Why is this change happening? The FCC has adopted 988 as a new, nationwide, three-digit number to reach the National Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Crisis Lifeline, beginning July 16, 2022.
For 988 to work in your area code, mandatory 10-digit local dialing will be implemented to prevent issues with reaching the 988 Lifeline number.
Midco phone customers should prepare now.
You can start making this change earlier – even right now. Here’s how:
- Begin dialing all 10 digits when making local phone calls.
- Update programmed numbers, speed dialers, phone contact lists, call forwarding settings and voicemail services.
- Update auto dialing equipment, including life safety systems, medical monitoring devices, PBXs, fax machines, internet dial-up numbers and security systems (such as fire or burglar alarms and gates).
- Check personal website or stationery, checks, contact information, personal or pet ID tags and other similar items with your phone number listed – to ensure they include your area code.
- Contact us if you have any questions.
10-Digit Dialing FAQ
- Your telephone number and area code
- Price of calls, coverage area or other rates and services
- Dialing of 1 + area code + telephone number for long-distance calls
- National three-digit dialing services, such as 911 and 711
- Local three-digit dialing for community services, such as 211, 311, etc.
- Reaching the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1.800.273.TALK (8255) – until July 16, 2022.
Yes. 10-digit dialing is a mandatory change for local calls in the 605, 218, 620 and 785 area codes. Seven-digit dialing for local calls will be prohibited for all customers in the entire area code.
It takes effect January 1, 2022. Making seven-digit calls on or after this date may not be completed, and a recording will inform you that your call cannot be completed as dialed.
On July 16, 2022, dialing “988” will route to the National Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Crisis Lifeline.