Knowing you average daily or weekly internet bandwidth usage is important. One-day usage spikes are common, but usage that increases significantly and remains at a high level for several days could be a problem. Someone could be using your wireless network without your knowledge. One of your devices might have a virus or spyware. It could also be a technical glitch, but it pays to pay attention. That's why Midco offers a convenient way for you to monitor usage online.
To check your bandwidth usage:
- Log in to My Account.
- In the Services section next to Internet, click Bandwidth Usage.
- View your usage by the hour, day, month to date or year to date.
What is normal?
Bandwidth usage is typically presented in GB (gigabytes); however, you can look at the information by KB (kilobytes), MB (megabytes) and TB (terabytes). How much bandwidth do certain activities take? Here are some examples:
• Website browsing for 10 hours = 0.005 GB
• Sending 100 emails = 0.008 GB
• Posting 100 photos = 0.05 GB
• Streaming music for 1 hour = 0.05 GB
• Playing games for 10 hours = 0.5 GB
• Streaming four movies = 9 GB
Data usage changes over time as you use the internet and the services and applications available for it. Each home’s usage profile is unique – which is evident in the report’s daily, weekly and monthly averages for comparison purposes.