It’s good to understand how your DVR uses space, so you don’t run out of storage when you really want to record a program. Here are some general road rules for your DVR capacity.
- You can record up to 120 hours of standard digital TV or up to 30 hours of HD programs (depending on the transmission bit rate and your DVR model). Recording times may vary.
- You can keep a program as long as you want. Just remember that recording space is limited, so you may need to delete some recorded programs from time to time in order to make room for new ones.
- You’ll receive an on-screen message when recording space is low – when you’ve used about 80% of your available space. You can manually delete recordings and manage space from the recorded program’s information screen.
- You can expend your storage capacity if you have your own external hard drive – on compatible DVR modeml. See below for more details.
An external hard drive that you purchase can be connected with a special cable to your Midco DVR. This cable is known as an external serial advanced technology attachment (eSATA or external serial ATA). It transfers information between devices such as external hard drives and computers or DVRs.
- There’s no charge to use an eSATA drive, but you must contact us to activate one on your account.
- eSATA drives pair with one DVR and will be reformatted when first connected to a DVR. Multiple drives can pair with a single DVR, but only one drive can connect at a time.
- You can only view recorded content stored on an eSATA drive when you use the DVR it’s paired with.
- Connecting a paired eSATA drive to a different DVR will reformat the drive and erase previously stored program content.
- When you record a program, it will save on both your DVR and the external drive, based on available space.
- If you’re trying to watch a recording stored on an external drive that’s disconnected from your DVR, your DVR will prompt you to connect the drive.
- If you use an external drive, other recordings stored on your DVR will remain unaffected.
- If you replace your DVR, the recordings on your external drive will be lost, because that drive is paired with a specific DVR.
DVR and Drive Compatibility
If you want eSATA capability, you can add it to the following Midco DVR models:
- Motorola DCT6416, DCH3416, DCH6416 and DCX3400
- Pace TDC779X, TDC787X and RNG200
Midco doesn’t provide any external hard drives for eSATA capabilities. Customers are responsible for providing the external hard drive and eSATA cable. DVRs will recognize hard drives up to 1 TB (terabyte). Drives with more storage capacity than that will work, but will not utilize more than 1 TB of storage.
Recommended eSATA drives are those noted as a “DVR Expander” or “DVR Compatible” that do not have standby or sleep modes.
- Disconnect power from your DVR
- Connect the eSATA cable from the eSATA drive to the rear DVR panel.
- Connect power to the eSATA drive and to your DVR.
- Your DVR guide will take up to one hour to load program information.
- When the DVR displays a prompt to format eSATA drive, use your remote control to select Yes. Then, press OK/SEL.
- It may take 15-60 seconds for the eSATA drive to reformat and pair with your DVR.
- When formatting and pairing are complete, select OK to continue with normal DVR usage.
This material includes references to products, services and/or equipment not manufactured by Midco. The respective companies retain trademark and registered trademark ownership for those referenced items.